Thursday, May 21, 2009

Star Trek

I went to see the new Star Trek movie and really enjoyed it, for precisely the reasons that more hardcore Star Trek fans seem to have problems with it. And, in the highest praise that I can think of, its inspired interest in seeing more of the original series. I grew up with Next Generation and have enjoyed the other series in bits and pieces along the years, but hadn't seen much of the original crew beyond the Star Trek movies, so it was very exciting to get the chance to see so many of my favorite characters meeting for the first time. And in watching some of the original series, I realized how much the characters had the same personalities and relationships, in spite of all of the differences that the time line shift had caused. And that might have been why I didn't mind the changes, because at the heart it was what had always been great about Star Trek. And it didn't hurt that Captian Pike is played by one of my favorite actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment